The Houston Zoo loves its elephants and wants to do everything we can to protect them in the wild.
The Houston Zoo supports elephant protection efforts in Asia and Africa through:
- Kinabatangan Elephant Conservation Unit (ECU): Works with local communities and elephants in Borneo to raise awareness, mitigate conflicts, and give farmers the tools and training they need for elephant-friendly crop protection.
- Danau Girang Field Centre: This organization is undertaking the first population biology study of the Bornean elephant; the Zoo provides funding for graduate student scholarships, radio collars, and camera traps.
- Niassa Beehive Fence Project: is run by the Niassa Lion Project, which aims to show communities humane and positive ways to stop human-wildlife conflict. When elephants go near crop land, they can devastate the fields and harm humans that come out to retaliate. Beehives are a natural concern to elephants, as the simple sound of a hive will send an elephant in the opposite direction! The beehive fences are easy to construct, humane, and even provide villagers with profit from the honey while keeping elephants out of the crops and away from human dangers.
How the Houston Zoo helps:
- We host an elephant open house event every year for our Houston community to learn more about our herd of elephants at the zoo, as well as how elephants are doing in the wild.
- We raise vital funds to enable communities in Africa and Asia to protect their remaining elephant populations.
- Houston Zoo elephant staff has assisted our field partners in Borneo with their conservation programming.
Donate now to help elephants in the wild:
How you can help
- Be a hero; avoid destruction of elephant habitat by choosing food and beauty products containing palm oil that is certified as sustainable.
- Visit the Zoo! Every time you visit the Houston Zoo, you help save animals in the wild.
- Learn more about the wildlife protection projects we support and donate to help save elephants in the wild.
- Friend the Houston Zoo Facebook Page for updates on saving animals in the wild.