Texas coast, Carribean ocean, eastern Mexican coastline and coastal areas of the eastern U.S.
Location in the Zoo
You may see a rescued turtle rehabilitating in a tank in Kipp Aquarium; our vet clinic treats injured sea turtles.
Cool Animal Fact
An invention called a “turtle excluder device” or TED on commercial fishing nets allows turtles to escape and survive while fish are harvested.
How We Help Save Them
- In 2018, 131 sea turtles received care from the veterinary team.
- The Houston Zoo is single use plastic straw, bag and bottle free preventing thousands of these items from entering the ocean.
- Houston Zoo summer campers participate in weekly water bottle challenges to remember to bring their reusable water bottles.
How You Can Help
- Call 1-866-TURTLE-5 if you see a sea turtle on the beach
- Be a hero; reduce your use of single-use plastics!
- Use a reusable bag whenever you shop. Reusable bags seen here can be purchased at the Houston Zoo Gift Shop, with proceeds going towards sea turtle saving efforts!
Donate now to help sea turtles: