Central and South America, from Honduras to northern Argentina
Location in the Zoo
Giant anteater habitat
Cool Animal Fact
They are almost blind, but have an excellent sense of smell – as much as 40 times better than a human.
How We Help Save Them
- We provide salaries, training and expertise for biologists and veterinarians working with wild giant anteaters in Brazil.
- We provide equipment like camera traps and tracking devices to study and understand giant anteater movement patterns to better protect them in the wild.
- We provided support for 92,364 km of highways to be monitored in Brazil last year to identify ways to protect giant anteaters from getting hit by cars.
How You Can Help
Donate to help Giant Anteaters in the wild
How we Help Giant Armadillos in the Wild
- Hotel Armadillo shown across the US and in the UK – approximately 1.5 million views in the UK alone.
- 4-year study of giant armadillos in the Pantanal finished – home ranges, habitat selection, analysis of movement in relation to temperature for 15 animals recorded.
- The project discovered that giant armadillos are ecosystem engineers. Their burrows are an important shelter to over 25 other species.