Cultivating the next generation of conservation heroes!
The Houston Zoo Teen Programs seek to inspire teens to problem solve ways to save animals in the wild and empower them to influence others to take action. By providing teens with opportunities to act, these programs will instill and foster a sense of care for the environment, which will inspire them to become lifelong advocates for all wildlife both locally and globally.
Teens will gain experience in hands-on conservation both on and off Zoo grounds. They will learn how to inspire others to take action to save wildlife by educating guests of the Zoo about our animals and our Take Action Initiatives. Teens will also have the opportunity to connect with the natural world through outdoor adventure and exploration.
Zoo Crew Explorers
Teens, ages 13-17, participating in Zoo Crew for the first time will have the opportunity to explore everything that the Houston Zoo does to save animals in the wild. From zookeepers, to groundskeepers, to our marketing department, Zoo Crew Explorers will learn about all the different career possibilities and how each of our staff members are active in saving wildlife.
The Zoo Crew Explorers program is a 5-week summer program. All first year teens, regardless of age, must complete a summer of Zoo Crew Explorers before they are able to participate in our year-round programming.
- Two 5-week program sessions will be offered
- 5-week program includes:
- 2 weeks of experience as a Camp Mentor at Camp Zoofari
- 2 weeks as a Naturalist providing education to our Zoo guests
- 1 week of Keeper/Career shadowing
- This will include shadowing zookeepers, career chats with Zoo professionals, behind-the-scenes tours, and one day of Adventure Programming where teens will learn about careers in the field off zoo grounds.
Once first year teens have completed the Zoo Crew Explorers program they are eligible to continue their experience in our year-round teen programs.
Zoo Crew Explorers Program Fees
- Summer only: $150
- Year-round: additional $100
Teens, ages 13-17, who have already completed one summer of Zoo Crew have the opportunity to choose how they would like to be involved at the Houston Zoo.
Program choices include:
Returning Zoo Crew Program Fees
- Summer only: $100
- Year-round: additional $100
Applications and Interviews
Applications for 2017 Zoo Crew are now closed. Please check back at the beginning of next year for 2018 applications. Also, check out our Adventure Programs below for more ways to be involved with the Houston Zoo Teen Programs.
Teens will explore natural areas in Texas and participate in outdoor activities such as hiking, canoeing, kayaking, camping, etc. They will also participate in conservation projects such as beach clean-ups and habitat restoration.
- Open to all accepted Zoo Crew members throughout the year
- Open to all teens, ages 13-17, in non-summer months (February-April, October-December). This includes teens not accepted into the Zoo Crew program.
- Summer Adventure Programs for Zoo Crew members:
- 1st year Zoo Crew Explorers will be scheduled for one adventure program as part of their 5-week experience
- Returning Zoo Crew must sign-up for trips on select weeks throughout the summer
Upcoming Adventure Programs
October 7th- Stand Up Paddle Boarding at Lake Livingston State Park
October 29th- Geocaching in Sam Houston National Forest
November 18th- Bird Banding with Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
December 3rd- High Ropes Challenge Course at Camp Allen
Frequently Asked Questions
Did you miss our information sessions? All the information presented can be found here: Teen Programs Information Session Presentation
Questions about our teen programs? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org