Saturday, April 22, the Houston Zoo will close early in preparation of Zoo Ball at 5:00 p.m., last entry at 4:00 p.m.
9 a.m. – 7 p.m., Last entry 6 p.m.
The Houston Zoo is open seven days a week.
Exhibit and Activity Times
Giraffe Feeding Platform: 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
May close due to weather conditions and giraffe participation.
Kathrine McGovern Water Play Park
Open April 1 – October 31, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., weather permitting.
Naturally Wild Swap Shop 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The Reptile and Amphibian House opens at 10:00 a.m.
Tropical Bird House: 10:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
The Bug House opens at 9:30 a.m.
The Petting yard inside the Children’s Zoo is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Directions to the Zoo
The Houston Zoo is located in Hermann Park adjacent to the Texas Medical Center and the Museum District.
There are two entrances to the Zoo:
- Our Main Entrance is at 6200 Hermann Park Drive in Houston.
- Our Medical Center Entrance is on Cambridge Street across from Ben Taub Hospital. It is open only on weekends and major holidays. It provides convenient dropoff, pickup and pedestrian access (There is no parking at this gate).
It’s Field Trip Season
The Houston Zoo is proud to host thousands of local school groups each year for field trips. If you are arriving on weekday mornings in April and May, please note:
- Arrive at 9 a.m. or after 11 a.m. to avoid bus arrival. During this time, parking spaces may be temporarily reserved so that children and teachers can safely unload and assemble. Unoccupied parking spots are made available once field trips have unloaded.
- We recommend carpooling if you are accompanying your child on a field trip.
- Consider bus and rail options; see below.
Near the Zoo
The Houston Zoo does not have its own parking lot; free parking is available in Hermann Park. On busy days, these lots can fill quickly. If lots in front of the Zoo are full, an additional parking option is the Centennial Gardens, Lot C on the Hermann Park Map. It is limited to three-hour parking, and it is accessed from outside the park at Hermann Drive and Crawford St.Full Map of Hermann Park, with Parking Areas
Map provided by the Hermann Park Conservancy
Parking is not owned or operated by the Houston Zoo
Save $2 off an adult admission and $1 off a child’s admission when you present your Q Card, METRO bus, or METRORail ticket at the zoo admission booth.
Walk To the Zoo from Two METRORail Stops
From the train, exit at either the Hermann Park/Rice U Station or the Memorial Hermann Hospital/Houston Zoo Station. Our Medical Center Entrance is open on weekends and major holidays.
Fannin South Park & Ride, 1604 West Bellfort, Houston, TX 77054
Saturdays & Sundays: Overflow Parking and Shuttle
We have extended this off-site parking for a limited time.
South Extension (SE) Lot, 7100 William C. Harvin, Entrance 35
Parking is $8 per car. Free shuttle, easy in, easy out.
On Saturdays and Sundays, this shuttle runs continuously from 10 a.m. (Early birds: park near the zoo to enter at 9 a.m.)
Bicycling: Houston B-cycle
A Houston B-cycle station is located in Hermann Park outside the zoo. Houston B-cycle is a “bike sharing” program that works as an additional transportation alternative for people living in or visiting Houston. For more information visit the Houston B-cycle website.