Central and South America
Location in the Zoo
You might see this bird in the Fischer Bird Gardens or Birds of the World; we also care for them behind the scenes.
Cool Animal Fact
The Houston Zoo is one of the few zoos ever to breed this animal.
How We Help Save Them
- Set up and installed 6 camera traps in an attempt to locate any blue-billed curassows that might be in the Montes de Maria region of Colombia.
- No records of blue-billed curassows were obtained during the first month following camera trap installations, but images of 35 reptile, bird, and mammal species were recovered!
- One puma (cougar) was spotted on camera, which is the most recent record of this species in the study region.
- Cameras also recorded the first known images of a striped hog-nosed skunk and a greater grison (resembles a honey badger) in the Montes de Maria region.
- 3,044 nights of camera trap data collected from 6 existing camera traps.