A wide range, throughout Alaska, Canada, parts of the continental United States and Mexico.
Location in the Zoo
Across from African lions
Cool Animal Fact
Bears in northern ranges hibernate in winter. In the south, bears may remain active or go through a winter dormancy period termed “carnivorean lethargy.”
How we Help Save Them
- The Houston Zoo designed the Texas black bear reporting signs that are used all over the state.
- We use 100% recycled content toilet paper in all Zoo restrooms.
- We have cut our paper usage by more than 50% since 2016 by buying in bulk and only purchasing 100% recycled content paper.
How You Can Help
- Bears need trees to live, so by using less paper or recycled-content paper products, fewer trees are cut down meaning you are contributing to saving black bears in the wild!
- Consider going paperless for billing or even when purchasing tickets for your next visit to the Zoo.
Good News: Help Save Animals’ Homes from the Comfort of Your HomeApril 22, 2020
Earlier today you met Zookeeper Cheka and our orangutans, Rudi and Kelly. During today’s livestream, you likely learned that a number of animals that call the Houston Zoo home need trees to survive.…