Savannah and grassland in eastern, western and southern Africa
Location in the Zoo
Cool Animal Fact
Their long black “tear marks” help reduce sunlight glare.
How We Help Save Them
- The Houston Zoo supports cheetah protection efforts in Africa through the Ruaha Carnivore Project’s Livestock guarding dog program.
- Conducting the first trial to test the effectiveness of specialized breeds of guarding dogs at preventing attacks on livestock around Ruaha, Tanzania.
- So far, 4 Anatolian Shepherds were placed with local farmers.
How You Can Help
- Visit the Zoo! Every time you visit the Houston Zoo, you help save animals in the wild.
- Donate now to save cheetahs in the wild