Cub Scouts & Girl Scouts
Come experience the Zoo after dark and spend the night in our Brown Education Center! Choose from a variety of themed offerings that include guided night hikes through the Zoo, animal meet and greets, and educational activities.
2019 Spring & Summer Registration is now open!
- Advanced registration is required; adults and children must register.
- Overnight registration: $75 per person, Twilight Safari (evening-only) registration: $25 per person
- Adult/Child Ratios: One adult chaperone is required for every five children age 6 – 17. Children under the age of 6 are not permitted.
- Group Size Limits: 20 Minimum / 80 Maximum
- Registration closes eight days before the scheduled program date. No additions will be permitted after registration has closed.
- Program Scheduling & Refunds: A 25% nonrefundable deposit is required at time of group reservation. Final payment is due 21 days prior to the program date. Guests who provide a written notice of cancellation to email@example.com prior to the balance due date will receive a full refund, excluding the cost of the deposit. No refund will be issued after this date. Rescheduling is subject to availability at a $25 transfer fee.
- Scout badges and awards cannot be purchased through the Zoo. However, we can provide your pack or troop with some information required to complete your specific badge work.
- All Overnight programs include evening snack and breakfast, a guided night hike through the Zoo, group activities, a up-close animal meet & greet, early morning Zoo tour, next-day Zoo admission, and glow-in-the-dark Overnight bracelet souvenir.
Please Note – If there are less than 15 participants registered 8 days prior to the overnight date, the program will be cancelled. All participants will be re-scheduled where possible, or fully refunded otherwise.
Cub Scout Programs
Calling all Cub Scout families! Come learn about wild animals and the places they call home. During this memorable experience, scouts will investigate how plants and animals interact with each other through the food cycle and compare survival strategies of the fittest. We will also discuss how we as humans impact the environment and how we can help protect it! This program is inspired by the Cub Scout Nova WILD! Award, but is great fun for any den or pack, whether you intend to go on to complete the award or not.
*Dates crossed out indicate the program is at full capacity
Girl Scout Programs
3 Cheers for Animals Twilight Safari (evening only)
Daisy Girl Scouts can have an adventure at the Zoo after hours and discover how caring for animals is fun and important! Get ready to learn all the ways to keep animals safe and happy – just like your family cares for you! Program ends at about 9:00 p.m., making it perfect for younger explorers who prefer to sleep in their own beds.
Twilight Safari includes evening snack, guided night hike through the Zoo, group activities, up-close animal meet & greet, and glow-in-the-dark Overnight bracelet souvenir.
Sensational Senses Overnight
Engage your five senses as we explore the Zoo by moonlight! Discover how animals sense their environment and learn to identify some of their unique adaptations. This program is inspired by the Brownie Senses badge, however all scout levels are welcome!
Home Sweet Habitat Overnight
Is this my habitat? Find out about wild animals and the places they call home. During this memorable experience, scouts will investigate a variety of unique habitats and learn how animals are specially adapted to survive in diverse regions of the world. Before you go, you will also learn how you can help protect wild habitats right in your own backyard! This program is inspired by the Junior Habitats badge, however all scout levels are welcome!
Night Owls Overnight
Calling all night owls! Discover how the world around you changes when the sun goes down and meet animals specially adapted to living in the dark. Learn about nocturnal animals on our evening night hike and experience the Zoo in a whole new way! Scouts will even interview our overnight crew to see what it’s like working after hours and see the Zoo transform in the morning as diurnal animals wake. This program is inspired by the Night Owls badge, however all scouts are welcome!
Zoo Overnights provide the opportunity for you to get up close and interact with our ambassador animals. Connect with a variety of animals, including small mammals, reptiles and birds. Learn what they eat and how they are cared for as a member of the Houston Zoo family. Meet our amazing ambassadors and find out how you and your group can take action to save animals in the wild on your next evening or overnight experience!
We’ll surprise you with a selection of delightful critters; it is not possible to reserve specific animals when you register for one of our programs.
What To Bring
- comfortable walking shoes
- reusable water bottle
- weather appropriate outerwear – ponchos/jackets
- bug spray/insect repellent
- sleeping bag, pillow, sleeping pad or cot
- pajamas, personal care items
- change of clothes (showers not available)
*Note: All participants will sleep in the Brown Education Center which is air-conditioned with easy access to restrooms and water fountains. Cots and sleeping materials are not provided.
Frequently Asked Questions
Additional Items for Purchase
$20 for each Houston Zoo Overnight t-shirt (for all ages).
$5 for each Houston Zoo fun patch.
A link to order t-shirts and patches will be included in your program reminder which will be sent out via the email on file for your registration. They cannot be added the day of your program.
By Participating in a Houston Zoo Overnight, you help save animals in the wild!
Need more information? Don’t see a program that fits your needs? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can answer your questions.