Shallow marine and brackish waters of the western Atlantic distributed from the northern US to Brazil, including through the Gulf of Mexico.
Location in the Zoo
Cool Animal Fact
As this ray swims through the ocean, its wingtips often break the surface, resembling the dorsal fin of a shark, which sometimes causes undue alarm for swimmers and divers. Occasionally, they jump out of the water and land with a loud smack, a behavior thought to be a territorial display.
How We Help Save Them
- 172 underwater cameras deployed
- Trained 36 fishers, 80 students and teachers and institutional colleagues across 4 communities in Panama to capture/process invasive lionfish.
How You Can Help
- Eat only ocean-friendly seafood. Download the Seafood Watch App to help you choose ocean-friendly seafood on your next grocery shopping trip or dinner out.
- Reduce plastic use to decrease the likelihood of plastics ending up in our oceans and harming marine animals.
- Donate now to save rays in the wildDonate Today