General Volunteer Info
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Houston Zoo! Volunteers support every department of the zoo including animal care, education, and guest services. Volunteering at the zoo is a serious commitment; adult volunteers serve for at least a year – some volunteers have been with us for a decade or more! Group volunteers donate their time for special projects on a one-time basis.
There are two types of volunteer opportunities: Adult Volunteers and Group Volunteers
Join the team of over 300 adult volunteers (18 and older) who contribute their time to help make the Zoo a great place to visit and to save animals in the wild!
Some of the opportunities for adults to volunteer include:
- Animal Encounters – helping staff supervise guest interactions at Giraffe Feeding and Children’s Zoo
- Animal Conservation Team – educating guests about wildlife conservation, with opportunities to become trained in ambassador animal handling
- Education Program Assistant – helping staff to help teach classes and lead craft activities
- Guest Services – greeting guests, answering guest questions, and conducting surveys
- Keeper Aide – cleaning exhibits, preparing animal diets, and assisting with special animal projects
- Zoo Events – assisting staff with various conservation and community events throughout the year
Adult volunteer positions require an application process: conversational interview, background check, a $55 fee to offset uniform costs, a negative TB test, and a commitment of one year of 60 hours of service (an average of 5 hours per month). Adult volunteer benefits include training and support, invitation to special volunteer appreciation events, discounts on concessions and Zoo membership, and the opportunity to develop new skills and make new friends!
We are not accepting applications for our Adult Volunteer program at this time. Please check back for future opportunities in 2017!
Visit the Houston Zoo Internship page for details and to apply.
Questions about our volunteer programs? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Houston Zoo welcomes corporate, school and other volunteer groups to help fulfill the Zoo’s project needs. All group volunteers must be age 13 or older and at least one adult chaperone for every 10 volunteers under the age of 18 is required.
Group volunteers are typically scheduled for projects/shifts lasting up to four hours. Most Zoo projects can accommodate a group size of 25 or fewer. Please note that project availability is limited and requests should be received at least 30 days in advance. The exact project will vary due to the time of year and needs of the Zoo. All projects will be outdoors and most individual project days will only be available on weekday mornings.
- Outdoor Projects – Raking leaves, moving substrate (soil, sand, rocks, gravel), planting shrubs, flowers, etc. Projects may be available 7 days a week.
- Special Events – Helping with event setup, greeting guests, manning craft and activity tables, providing event support, cleanup etc.; most activities will involve interacting with our Zoo guests so be ready to engage in conversation! Projects will typically run on Fridays-Sundays during Zoo hours (example: Zoo Boo).
Our Teen Programs are growing! Please visit the Teens webpage for new information: http://www.houstonzoo.org/experiences/teens/