Join a Zoo expert on a two-hour, semi-private walking tour and journey through the Houston Zoo after-hours. You’ll experience the rare opportunity to see and hear the sights and sounds of the Houston Zoo just as the sun is setting. As you explore the Zoo together, your guide will share stories about the animals that call the Houston Zoo home and how we are working to save their wild counterparts all around the world.
This up-close, front-of-scenes tour will highlight animals such as elephants, lions and giraffes, just to name a few. Perfect for a family outing, tour groups are limited to two families of up to six people each and will be conducted to accommodate social distancing standards.
$350 per family group (Up to six family members)
Available on select Saturdays and Sundays, starting October 10 through Nov. 1
7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Required: All guests ages 10 years and older must properly wear a facial covering during the entire safari tour for the safety of our other guests, staff and animals.
Know Before You Go
- Wearing comfortable walking shoes is highly recommended.
- Check in will begin at 6:30 p.m. Safari tours will start promptly at 7:00 p.m.
- Please plan to eat prior to arrival. Food and beverages will not be available to purchase during this time.
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- What to bring: A filled water bottle, weather appropriate outerwear ponchos/jackets, and bug spray/insect repellant.
Read our FAQ below for more important details!
What steps is the Houston Zoo taking in regards to COVID-19 safety?
- For the safety of our staff, guests, and animals, and in accordance with Harris County orders, guests 10 years or older and all Zoo staff are required to wear facial coverings that cover their nose and mouth. This change is effective Monday, June 22, 2020.
- The Zoo has visual social distancing reminders placed to ensure guests maintain a safe social distance along the pathway.
- Free hand sanitizer stations are positioned at the entry, exit and restrooms.
- If a guest feels sick before their reservation, we ask that they not visit the Zoo.
Do we need to bring our own flashlights?
Houston Zoo staff will provide lighting to maintain animal welfare. Individual flashlights will not be permitted.
Where do we go when we arrive?
All participants should park in the Zoo’s main lot and enter the Zoo through the main entrance. The gate will open at 6:30 p.m. and participants will be greeted by Zoo staff who will provide additional instruction.
Hermann Park Drive is closed. How do we get to the Zoo?
When traffic is heavy throughout Hermann Park, officers will close Hermann Park Drive from traffic turning north off of Cambridge. If you are attempting to reach the Zoo and Hermann Park Drive is closed, continue on Cambridge until you arrive at Fannin. A right on Fannin will take you towards a roundabout that will allow you to turn southbound onto Hermann Park Drive. If you stay on Cambridge all the way to Main Street, you will have gone too far and may have to circle back.
What if it rains?
Safari tours occur rain or shine! In the event of extreme weather, notifications will be sent out by 2:00 p.m. on the day of the tour. Should the safari tour be cancelled, every effort will be made to reschedule, or a full refund will be provided. Should the weather become inclement during an event, the tour will be rescheduled or partially refunded.
What if I need to cancel?
Guests who provide a written notice of cancellation to email@example.com on or before 3 weeks (21 days) prior to the safari tour date will receive a full refund. No refund will be issued after this date. Rescheduling is subject to availability at a $25 change fee.