Two members of the Houston Zoo team, Tarah Jacobs and Kevin Hodge, just wrapped up their trip to China. Tarah and Kevin are worked with Chinese Zoos and blogged about their experience abroad.
This post was written by Tarah Jacobs.
Our time in China has come to an end. Over the course of the 2 ½ weeks we were there we met some fantastic people and amazing animals.
We had the opportunity to hold 2 workshops on training, enrichment and enclosure design. Over the course of those 2 workshops we had 46 people from 7 different zoos attend. The attendees were animal keepers, animal managers, veterinarians, and directors from their respective zoos. This gave us a unique opportunity to have many different points of view and many fantastic ideas!
- Watching groups from each workshop create and present enclosure designs. We saw so many creative and amazing designs
- Seeing the smile of the participants (and us!) while the animals enjoyed the enrichments that were created for them. For some animals it was the first time they had been given any enrichment!
- Watching a Bird keeper from Chengdu zoo train 26 macaws to station when he called each of their names
- Watching the kangaroo keeper at Hangzhou zoo train each of the female kangaroos to come over and stand so he could check the progress of the joeys in their pouches
- Meeting amazing colleagues from half way across the world
We would like to thank the Hangzhou Zoo and the Chengdu Zoo for being amazing hosts for these workshops. Everyone went out of their way to make sure they were successful and we are so grateful for the opportunity to share our experiences with everyone who attended.