Saving Wildlife Seawall Murals
Seawall Murals in the News
Mural Creation Process
Meet the Artist
Texas-based artist, Mario Enrique Figueroa, Jr. aka GONZO247 was exposed to graffiti and began his pursuit as a self-taught aerosol artist in 1985. Some of his accomplishments include: Founder of Graffiti and Street Art Organization, Aerosol Warfare; producing Aerosol Warfare, a graffiti video series; Mural “Houston Is…” with The Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau, selected Houston Press Best Public Art Project and won a Silver Addy Award, also named Houston Press Best Art Curator in a Non-Museum Setting Award 2012. For more information visit www.aerosolwarfare.com
Take Action to Save Marine Wildlife
- Use a reusable bag whenever you shop. The reusable bags seen here can be purchased at the Houston Zoo Gift Shop, with proceeds going towards sea turtle saving efforts!
- Eat only ocean-friendly seafood. Download the Seafood Watch App to help you choose ocean-friendly seafood on your next grocery shopping trip or dinner out.
- Call 1-866-TURTLE-5 if you see a sea turtle on the beach, or if you see sea turtle tracks on the beach that run from the water to the dunes – if the turtle has finished nesting, there will be another set of tracks running back to the water.
- Pick up your very own copy of the Houston Zoo’s “Saving Wildlife: Sea Turtle Edition” comic book in the Zoo’s Naturally Wild Swap Shop. The comic book celebrates the achievements of our local community in saving sea turtles by telling the story of a family visiting Galveston who happen to find an injured sea turtle that needs help.
- Learn more about sea turtles and educate your family and friends.
- Visit the Zoo; a portion of the revenue on every ticket sold is dedicated towards helping save animals in the wild. Bring a friend, and learn about the ocean.
Special Thanks to Our Partners
American Bird Conservancy
City of Galveston
Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary
Galveston Bay Area Master Naturalist
Galveston Bay Foundation
Galveston County Parks and Cultural Services
Galveston Island Convention and Visitors Bureau
Galveston Island Nature Tourism Council
Galveston Island State Park
Galveston Island Tree Conservancy
Galveston Island Park Board
Gulf of Mexico Foundation
The National Hotel Artist Lofts
Sea Scout Base Galveston
Surfrider Foundation – Galveston Chapter
Texas A&M Galveston
Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network
Texas Nature Conservancy
Texas Parks and Wildlife
Turtle Island Restoration Network
A Special Thanks to the artists helping with the install of the murals:
Joseph Villarreal is a visual artist who has been rocking the streets of Houston for the past decade. Born and raised in Houston’s historic East End, JoJo’s mixed media art captures the grit of street culture. His work has been featured in many local Houston galleries, most notably at Aerosol Warfare. JoJo’s work can also been seen throughout the great state of Texas in Dallas, San Antonio & Austin all the way to El Paso. He is also a valuable team member at Aerosol Warfare and uses his talent to help Artist, GONZO247 frequently with art projects.
At just twenty-eight years old, Gabriel Prusmack has been painting with aerosol cans on found objects for the past fifteen years. His work is influenced by graffiti and receives inspiration from his late grandmother, two brothers, and past art educators – who have consistently encouraged and pushed him to remain artistic and passionate about his work. Gabriel is a resident of Galveston, TX, and has traveled in his work throughout Texas, as well as California. He credits his strong connection with his religion as a source of artistic strength.
Questions about the seawall murals?