There is no shortage of events here at the Houston Zoo and we are gearing up to talk all about turtles on Saturday, March 1st from 8:00am to noon. Join us for this special event on Zoo grounds highlighting turtles and tortoises, big to small, and learn how you can help save these awesome reptiles in the wild! You could even win a chance to visit the sea turtle barn in Galveston or a Zoo Family Membership!!
Save a Turtle Saturday Schedule of Events:
8:00-9:00am: Special Members Morning at the Aquarium! Join us in the front plaza for a special Q&A session with the Zoo’s head Vet and Sea Turtle expert, Dr. Joe Flanagan. Learn about his unique experiences working with sea turtles and then tour our aquarium with our expert staff! You’ll even find out ALL about the green sea turtle we are rehabilitating in our Kipp Aquarium! Not a member? Sign-up now and join us for this event!
The following activities are free with your regular zoo admission:
9:00am- Sea Turtle keeper chat in the aquarium & feeding
9:00am– Special turtle visit on Werler Lawn!
9:00am-12:00pm On-going activities and information in the following areas:
- Werler Lawn: Turtle crafts, educational games, and a visit by our turtle mascot!
- Reptile House: Meet some non-native turtles, find out how they are doing in the wild and what you can do to help!
- Swap Shop: Bring any item involving turtles or how plastic pollution affects them to the Naturally Wild Swap Shop and receive double points!! This includes: turtle shells, scutes, bones or scales, journals on turtles or tortoises and journals on how plastic pollution affects turtles.
- Butterfly Pavilion: Learn all about turtles at our Story time, Zooper Challenge and animal encounters at the Butterfly Pavilion!
- Wortham World of Primates: Did you know that we have turtles in the Wortham World of Primates? Find out about these awesome reptiles who reside with our lemurs and orangutans!
- Aquarium: Check out the wild sea turtle on exhibit who has been rehabilitated by Houston Zoo staff. Learn about how eating the right seafood can save sea turtles, and take a pledge to use less plastic!
- Front Plaza: Talk with a member of our Veterinary Staff and hear what it’s like to treat sick and injured sea turtles who are brought to the zoo’s clinic to be seen by our expert vet staff.
The Front Plaza will also feature our raffle-enter and you could possibly win a chance to visit the sea turtle barn in Galveston or a free family Zoo membership! Learn about the dangers to sea turtles in the wild, what is being done to help them, see a Turtle Excluder Device up-close and personal, purchase an Adopt-a-Sea-Turtle package to contribute to conservation efforts and buy a sea turtle bracelet and/or poster to take home as a reminder of how you contributed to save turtles in the wild!
10:00am-Turtle Story time at Butterfly Pavilion
10:30am-Live turtle encounter at the Butterfly Pavilion
10:30am-Turtle Keeper Chat in the Reptile House
11:00am-Turtle Story time at Butterfly Pavilion
12:00pm-Turtle Related Zooper Challenge at the Butterfly Pavilion