Next time you visit the Zoo make sure you catch our sea lion presentations to hear how the sea lion team is organizing efforts to save marine animals in the wild! All of our animal care specialists love the animals they provide care for and feel a devotion to protecting their wild counterparts.
In the past year, the sea lion team has organized 11 trips with Zoo staff to Galveston and collected:
- 140 lbs of fishing line from specially-designed bins placed along the jetties. These bins were built by the Zoo!
- 140 lbs of recycling from the beach
- 250 lbs of trash from the beach
During these animal saving expeditions, they have talked to beach goers and fisherman about the importance of properly discarding fishing line in the designated containers along Galveston jetties so that the line does not blow into the ocean or onto the beaches. The Houston Zoo assists with the rehabilitation of approximately 85 stranded or injured wild sea turtles a year, with some of them showing injuries resulting from becoming entangled in the fishing line and other garbage.
Please help us save wildlife by spreading the word.
If you like to fish, know local fishermen, or like to spend time at the beach, make sure you tell everyone you can about how to save wildlife by:
- Properly disposing of all fishing line in the designated bins
- Properly sorting the recycling and garbage you find or bring to the beach
- Calling 1-866-Turtle-5 (1-866-887-8535) if you happen to catch a sea turtle while fishing, or see an injured or stranded turtle.
Thank you for protecting wildlife with us!