Upcoming Programs - 2019 Summer and Fall Registration is now open!
Three Cheers for Animals Twilight Safari (evening only)
Sensational Senses Overnight
Home Sweet Habitat Overnight
Night Owls Overnight
Daisy Girl Scouts can have an adventure at the Zoo after hours and discover how caring for animals is fun and important! Get ready to learn all the ways to keep animals safe and happy – just like your family cares for you! Program ends at about 9:00 p.m., making it perfect for younger explorers who prefer to sleep in their own beds.
Twilight Safari includes evening snack, guided night hike through the Zoo, group activities, up-close animal meet & greet, and glow-in-the-dark Overnight bracelet souvenir.
Program time: 6:15 – 9:00 p.m.
Sept. 13, Oct. 25
Engage your five senses as we explore the Zoo by moonlight! Discover how animals sense their environment and learn to identify some of their unique adaptations. This program is inspired by the Brownie Senses badge, however all scout levels are welcome!
Program time: 7 p.m. – 9 a.m.
August 31, October 18
Is this my habitat? Find out about wild animals and the places they call home. During this memorable experience, scouts will investigate a variety of unique habitats and learn how animals are specially adapted to survive in diverse regions of the world. Before you go, you will also learn how you can help protect wild habitats right in your own backyard! This program is inspired by the Junior Habitats badge, however all scout levels are welcome!
Program time: 7 p.m. – 9 a.m.
August 3, October 12
Calling all night owls! Discover how the world around you changes when the sun goes down and meet animals specially adapted to living in the dark. Learn about nocturnal animals on our evening night hike and experience the Zoo in a whole new way! Scouts will even interview our overnight crew to see what it’s like working after hours and see the Zoo transform in the morning as diurnal animals wake. This program is inspired by the Night Owls badge, however all scouts are welcome!
Program time: 7 p.m. – 9 a.m.
Oct. 4, Oct. 19
- Advanced registration is required; adults and children must register.
- Twilight Safari (evening-only) registration: $25 per person
- Overnight registration: $75 per person
- Adult/Child Ratios: One adult chaperone is required for every five children age 6 – 17. Children under the age of 6 are not permitted.
- Group Size Limits: 20 Minimum / 80 Maximum
- Registration closes eight days before the scheduled program date. No additions will be permitted after registration has closed.
- Program Scheduling & Refunds: A 25% nonrefundable deposit is required at time of group reservation. Final payment is due 21 days prior to the program date. Guests who provide a written notice of cancellation to email@example.com prior to the balance due date will receive a full refund, excluding the cost of the deposit. No refund will be issued after this date. Rescheduling is subject to availability at a $25 transfer fee.
- Scout badges and awards cannot be purchased through the Zoo. However, we can provide your pack or troop with some information required to complete your specific badge work.
- All Overnight programs include evening snack and breakfast, a guided night hike through the Zoo, group activities, a up-close animal meet & greet, early morning Zoo tour, next-day Zoo admission, and glow-in-the-dark Overnight bracelet souvenir.
- Please Note – If there are less than 15 participants registered 8 days prior to the program date, the program will be cancelled. All participants will be re-scheduled where possible, or fully refunded otherwise.
What To Bring
- comfortable walking shoes
- reusable water bottle
- weather appropriate outerwear – ponchos/jackets
- bug spray/insect repellent
- sleeping bag, pillow, sleeping pad or cot
- pajamas, personal care items
- change of clothes (showers not available)
*Note: All participants will sleep in the Brown Education Center which is air-conditioned with easy access to restrooms and water fountains. Cots and sleeping materials are not provided.
Additional Items for Purchase
$20 for each Houston Zoo Overnight t-shirt
$5 for each Houston Zoo fun patch
A link to order t-shirts and patches will be included in the program reminder which will be sent out via the email on file for each registration. They cannot be added the day of your program.
By Participating in a Houston Zoo Overnight, you help save animals in the wild!
Need more information? Don’t see a program that fits your needs? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can answer your questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do we go when we arrive?
All overnight participants will enter the Zoo through the Employee Entrance at Gate 1, which is located across from Memorial Hermann Emergency. The gate will open at 7:00 pm (unless otherwise noted) and participants will be greeted by our Overnight staff to provide additional instruction.
Twilight Safari participants will enter the Zoo through Gate 8, which is located 200 yards to the left of the Zoo’s main entrance. The gate will open at 6:00 p.m.
Hermann Park Drive is closed; how do I get to the Zoo?
When traffic is heavy throughout Hermann Park, officers will close Hermann park drive from traffic turning north off of Cambridge. If you are attempting to reach the Zoo and Hermann Park Drive is closed, continue on Cambridge until you arrive at Fannin. A right on Fannin will take you towards a roundabout that will allow you to turn southbound onto Hermann Park Drive. If you stay on Cambridge all the way to Main St, you will have gone too far and may have to circle back.
What if it rains?
Overnights occur rain or shine! In the event of extreme weather, notifications will be sent out by 2:00 p.m. on the day of the event. Should the event be cancelled, every effort will be made to reschedule, or a full refund will be provided. Should the weather become inclement during an event, activities will be modified and held within the Education Center until the weather passes.
Accommodations or Special Requests
We want you to have a great experience! Please advise us of any disabilities, special needs, medical conditions or any other concerns you may have that could prevent you from fully participating in the experience. The more information you can provide, the better we can assist you. Please contact us before registration at email@example.com.