Program Date & Time: Saturday, March 21, 2020 from 6:00 p.m. -9:00 a.m.
Find your inner naturalist as we search for wildlife and spend the night tent camping under the stars! Families will enjoy an evening packed with animals, adventure, and group activities.
Evening snack, a light breakfast, and next-day admission are included. Bring your own tent & sleeping bags as we will be camping near our wetlands habitat in the new H-E-B Lone Star Pavilion!
*Check-in will begin at 6:00 p.m. to allow time to set up tents. Be sure to pack your own picnic dinner or plan to eat prior to arriving.
Please Note: Camping materials such as tents are not provided by the Education Department for this event. Each family is responsible for bringing their own supplies.
Registration has now passed.
Program Dates & Times:
June 20 from 7:00 p.m. -9:00 a.m.
August 8 from 7:00 p.m. -9:00 a.m.
October 31 from 7:00 p.m. -9:00 a.m.
Enjoy a night on the prowl as we explore the Zoo like animals do! Families will see nocturnal animals when they are most active, meet ambassador animals up close, and partake in fun family activities. It’s the best way to see the Zoo without the crowds!
Your Overnight adventure includes activities, educational encounter with program animals, evening snack, and a night hike around portions of the Zoo. Breakfast will be served prior to taking an early morning stroll to see animals that are just waking up and getting ready for the day. Next-Day Admission is included for registered participants! We will be camping indoors in our Brown Education Center.
- Registration: $75 per person general overnight
- Zoo Overnights are for participants ages 6 and up
- Overnights begin promptly at 7 p.m. and conclude the following morning at 9 a.m.
- Registrations are per person and children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult; we require one adult for every five kids age 6 – 17.
- Children under the age of 6 are not permitted.
- Registration closes one week before the scheduled program date. No additions will be permitted after registration has closed.
- Program Scheduling & Refunds: Guests who provide a written notice of cancellation to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 3 weeks (21 days) prior to the program date will receive a full refund, excluding the cost of a group nonrefundable deposit. No refund will be issued after this date. Rescheduling is subject to availability at a $25 change fee.
- A minimum of 20 participants must be in attendance to conduct overnights; we do occasionally have to cancel due to low registration, and will notify you on the Tuesday prior to the event.
- Overnight experiences are front-of-scenes for the safety of our animals and guests. If you are interested in a behind-the-scenes experience for your child, please check out our Animal Encounters page!
What To Bring
- comfortable walking shoes
- reusable water bottle
- weather appropriate outerwear – ponchos/jackets
- bug spray/insect repellent
- sleeping bag, pillow, sleeping pad or cot
- pajamas, personal care items
- change of clothes (showers not available)
Note: The Brown Education Center has the potential to be cooler in the evening hours, so many guests bring an additional blanket or sweater when sleeping indoors. Please plan accordingly for your group and to meet individual needs.
Additional Items for Purchase
$20 for each Houston Zoo Overnight t-shirt
$5 for each Houston Zoo fun patch
A link to order t-shirts and patches will be included in your program reminder which will be sent out via the email on file for your registration. They cannot be added the day of your program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do we go when we arrive?
All participants will enter the Zoo through the Employee Entrance at Gate 1, which is located across from Memorial Hermann Emergency. The gate will open at 7:00 pm (unless otherwise noted) and participants will be greet ed by our Overnight staff to provide additional instruction. For after-hours assistance, please call 713-533-6739 after 6:15 p.m. to speak with one of our staff members.
Hermann Park Dr. is closed; how do we get to the Zoo?
When traffic is heavy throughout Hermann Park, officers will close Hermann park drive from traffic turning north off of Cambridge. If you are attempting to reach the Zoo and Hermann Park Drive is closed, continue on Cambridge until you arrive at Fannin. A right on Fannin will take you towards a roundabout that will allow you to turn southbound onto Hermann Park Drive. If you stay on Cambridge all the way to Main St, you will have gone too far and may have to circle back.
What if it rains?
Overnights occur rain or shine! In the event of extreme weather, notifications will be sent out by 2:00 p.m. on the day of the event. Should the event be cancelled, every effort will be made to reschedule, or a full refund will be provided. Should the weather become inclement during an event, activities will be modified and held within the Education Center until the weather passes.
Accommodations or Special Requests
We want you to have a great experience! Please advise us of any disabilities, special needs, medical conditions or any other concerns you may have that could prevent you from fully participating in the experience. The more information you can provide, the better we can assist you. Please contact us before registration at email@example.com.
How do I book a Private Group Overnight?
Invite your group of 20 to 100 people to a private one-of-a-kind experience! Your special evening will include a guided night hike around the Zoo, the opportunity to come eye to eye with some of our remarkable ambassador animals, and engaging activities intended to inspire guests to help save animals in the wild.
Dates are based on availability and are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. Group rates are not available. Payment of 20 or more spaces is required for overnights Sunday – Thursday nights; Friday or Saturday nights require reservation and payment of 60 or more spaces. A non-refundable deposit is required at the time of reservation.
Registration is $75 per person.
To Schedule, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (713) 533-6739.
By Participating in a Houston Zoo Overnight, you help save animals in the wild!
Need more information? Don’t see a program that fits your needs? Contact us at email@example.com and we can answer your questions.