Ecosystems! Overnight, 7 p.m. – 9 a.m.
Calling all Cub Scout families! Come learn about wild animals and the places they call home. Investigate how plants and animals interact with each other through the food cycle and what all organisms need to survive. Discover what the Houston Zoo and our partners are doing to protect landscapes in the wild and how you can help, too! Inspired by the Cub Scout Nova WILD! Award, this program is great fun for any den or pack, whether you intend to go on to complete the award or not.
July 20, August 17
Sept. 21, Sept. 28, Oct. 11, Nov. 2
- Advanced registration is required; adults and children must register.
- Overnight registration: $75 per person
- Adult/Child Ratios: One adult chaperone is required for every five children age 6 – 17. Children under the age of 6 are not permitted.
- Group Size Limits: 20 Minimum / 80 Maximum
- Registration closes eight days before the scheduled program date. No additions will be permitted after registration has closed.
- Program Scheduling & Refunds: A 25% nonrefundable deposit is required at time of group reservation. Final payment is due 21 days prior to the program date. Guests who provide a written notice of cancellation to email@example.com prior to the balance due date will receive a full refund, excluding the cost of the deposit. No refund will be issued after this date. Rescheduling is subject to availability at a $25 transfer fee.
- Scout badges and awards cannot be purchased through the Zoo. However, we can provide your pack or troop with some information required to complete your specific badge work.
- All Overnight programs include evening snack and breakfast, a guided night hike through the Zoo, group activities, a up-close animal meet & greet, early morning Zoo tour, next-day Zoo admission, and glow-in-the-dark Overnight bracelet souvenir.
- Please Note – If there are less than 15 participants registered 8 days prior to the overnight date, the program will be cancelled. All participants will be re-scheduled where possible, or fully refunded otherwise.
What To Bring
- comfortable walking shoes
- reusable water bottle
- weather appropriate outerwear – ponchos/jackets
- bug spray/insect repellent
- sleeping bag, pillow, sleeping pad or cot
- pajamas, personal care items
- change of clothes (showers not available)
*Note: All participants will sleep in the Brown Education Center which is air-conditioned with easy access to restrooms and water fountains. Cots and sleeping materials are not provided.
Additional Items for Purchase
$20 for each Houston Zoo Overnight t-shirt
$5 for each Houston Zoo fun patch
A link to order t-shirts and patches will be included in the program reminder which will be sent out via the email on file for each registration. They cannot be added the day of your program.
By Participating in a Houston Zoo Overnight, you help save animals in the wild!
Need more information? Don’t see a program that fits your needs? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can answer your questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do we go when we arrive?
All overnight participants will enter the Zoo through the Employee Entrance at Gate 1, which is located across from Memorial Hermann Emergency. The gate will open at 7:00 pm (unless otherwise noted) and participants will be greeted by our Overnight staff to provide additional instruction.
Twilight Safari participants will enter the Zoo through Gate 8, which is located 200 yards to the left of the Zoo’s main entrance. The gate will open at 6:00 p.m.
Hermann Park Drive is closed; how do I get to the Zoo?
When traffic is heavy throughout Hermann Park, officers will close Hermann park drive from traffic turning north off of Cambridge. If you are attempting to reach the Zoo and Hermann Park Drive is closed, continue on Cambridge until you arrive at Fannin. A right on Fannin will take you towards a roundabout that will allow you to turn southbound onto Hermann Park Drive. If you stay on Cambridge all the way to Main St, you will have gone too far and may have to circle back.
What if it rains?
Overnights occur rain or shine! In the event of extreme weather, notifications will be sent out by 2:00 p.m. on the day of the event. Should the event be cancelled, every effort will be made to reschedule, or a full refund will be provided. Should the weather become inclement during an event, activities will be modified and held within the Education Center until the weather passes.
Accommodations or Special Requests
We want you to have a great experience! Please advise us of any disabilities, special needs, medical conditions or any other concerns you may have that could prevent you from fully participating in the experience. The more information you can provide, the better we can assist you. Please contact us before registration at email@example.com.