NEW Explore The Wild! Nature Play Area
Explore the Wild! will be closed through September 28 while we install an exciting new water feature! We can’t wait for you to see it.
Little imaginations are encouraged to run wild, as sticks turn into wands, leaves become fairy wings, and sand is the main ingredient in the very best mud pie. Explore the Wild! is a nature play area designed to inspire children of all ages to use their imagination and discover the natural world around them.
Explore the Wild!
In this play area, kids can:
- Climb on a naturalistic rock wall
- Build with loose tree branches
- Create sculptures with sand
- Dig in mud pits
The Houston Zoo is on a mission to connect communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife. We take nature play seriously, because playing in nature leads to protecting nature.
Helpful Hints for Parents
Children can interact with everything they see. They may get muddy, wet and sandy during their unstructured play experience.
Bring a towel and change of clothing for your kiddos for quick clean up. Public restrooms are located in Sarofim Court.
Each visit may be slightly different. The mud pit could become a pile of leaves, water may dry up or there might be more pinecones than you would see in a forest.
Explore the Wild! Today
- This free area is included with your paid Zoo admission and is free for Zoo members
- Explore the Wild! is open during regular Zoo hours
- Look for the entrance behind the Carruth Natural Encounters Building