Just one century ago, the white rhino was the most endangered of the five rhino species, having been reduced to only a handful of animals. Its numbers have since rebounded to nearly 17,000, thanks to conservation efforts both in captivity and in the wild.
- Scientific Name: Ceratotherium simum
- Range: Southern Africa and Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Status in the Wild: Near Threatened
- Location in the Zoo: African Forest
- Cool Animal Fact: White rhinos aren’t white. The ‘white’ is taken from the Afrikaans word ‘weit’ meaning ‘wide’ – they were describing the rhino’s mouth.
See Our Rhinos Live
Check out our rhino webcam and see what our herd is up to today!
Houston Zoo Rhino Webcam
The Houston Zoo Helps Wild Rhinos
Wild rhinos are under threat, primarily due to illegal poaching for their horn. The Houston Zoo works with organizations in Africa who work to protect wild rhinos. Find out how we help rhinos in the wild.