This honeycomb-patterned oddity can reach sizes as large as 18 inches long. They display prominent spines protruding from the head, making this fish hard for a predator to swallow. Also, their poisonous flesh can release ostracitoxin (non-protein poison secretion) when stressed.
- Scientific Name: Lactoria cornuta
- Range: Indo-Pacific Oceans
- Status in the Wild: Not Evaluated
- Location in the Zoo: Kipp Aquarium, in the Red Sea Fishes tank.
- Cool Animal Fact: As in other boxfish, the cowfish’s constantly growing teeth are controlled by including snails and shrimp in its diet.