The Alligator Newt is found in forest, grassland and swamps.
- Scientific Name: Echinotriton andersoni
- Range: Found only on six tiny Japanese islands to the south of the main islands of Japan
- Status in the Wild: Endangered
- Location in the Zoo: Reptiles & Amphibians Building
- Cool Animal Fact: Recent deforestation and other forms of land development, as well as road and drainage ditch construction, have been causing population declines on each island. It is also collected illegally for the pet trade.