Lions are the only truly social cat species, living in groups called prides. Males have manes, but females rule the family. They live in the African savannah, woodlands, and desert.
- Scientific Name: Panthera leo
- Range: Sub-Saharan Africa
- Status in the Wild: Vulnerable
- Location in the Zoo: Carnivores
- Cool Animal Fact A lion’s roar can be heard up to five miles away!
Video of Houston Zoo Lions
Helping Lions in the Wild
Did you know the Houston Zoo helps save wild African lions? Zoo staff have traveled there to work with field researchers and conservation groups, and we support numerous organizations and projects. Find out about wild lions, what we’ve done and how you can help! Saving Lions in the Wild