We love our Houston Zoo orangutan family and are committed to doing everything we can to save them in the wild.
The Houston Zoo supports orangutan protection efforts in Borneo:
Hutan’s Kinabatangan Orangutan Conservation Project (KOCP). This project is run entirely by trained staff from the nearby village of Sukau. Priorities and goals include:
- Enhanced knowledge of orangutan ecology and conservation status
- Assessment and monitoring of orangutan population health and genetic status
- Orangutan ecological adaptation to degraded and fragmented habitat
- Development of policies for population management within and outside protected areas
- Reduced level of conflicts between human activity and orangutans including improved land use and reforestation
- Community engagement and education in the conservation of orangutans and habitat
- Environmental education programs for Malaysian school children
How the Zoo is helping orangutans in the wild:
- We assist with research and protection efforts to save orangutans in the wild.
- We provide funding for much needed equipment for monitoring wild orangutans and staff wages.
- We hold orangutan focused events to educate guests and invite them to purchase items created by our orangutans to save the orangutans in the wild.
- All candy at Zoo Boo, our Halloween event here at the Zoo is palm oil free!
- We are hosting a palm oil workshop/planning session with orangutan researchers, Zoos and local companies dedicated to palm oil free products
Donate now to help orangutans in the wild:
What can you do to help orangutans in the wild:
- Donate to help orangutans in the wild
- Be a hero; Become an orangutan-friendly shopper:
- Read the label: so you know what’s inside
- Whenever possible, choose local and unprocessed food-this is better for your health and for the planet!
- Be an informed consumer: consult websites and blogs to find lists of palm oil free product ad support companies promoting the use and growth of sustainable palm oil products.
- Friend the Houston Zoo Wildlife Conservation Facebook Page for updates