Gorillas will be coming to the Houston Zoo in 2015, and as we celebrate this event we believe it is critically important help save them in the wild.
The Houston Zoo supports several Gorilla protection efforts in Africa:
• The Gorilla Doctors – dedicated to saving the lives of critically-endangered mountain and Grauer’s gorillas through gorilla and human health care. Learn more here Gorilla Doctors
• Gorilla Rehabilitation and Conservation Education (GRACE) – rehabilitates young Grauer’s gorillas rescued from poachers or armed conflict in Rwanda and the Congo in a new, state-of-the-art care facility. Learn more here GRACE CenterDonate now to help GRACE: How the Houston Zoo helps gorillas in the wild:
- Our animal cares staff travels to GRACE to provide animal care training to local staff. Read more here.
- Our interactive web department helps connect the GRACE staff in the Congo to the world through social media and a website. View the website created by our staff.
- Our graphic arts department designed the logo for GRACE. View the logo.
- We provide funding for much needed equipment and staff wages.
- Friend the Houston Zoo Wildlife Conservation Facebook Page for updates at Houston Zoo Wildlife Conservation
- Recycle you used cell phones-drop your old cell phone into the cell phone recycling box located by the main entrance near the gift shop
- Are you a local Houston school, business or organization? Join our annual Action for Apes Challenge and sign up your organization to recycle the most cell phones to protect vital gorilla habitat in Central Africa.
- Avoid getting a new cell phone until it is absolutely necessary