New @ The Zoo
Meet The Animals
The contest is now closed. 10 finalists have been notified, and the winner will be chosen on August 24 at the Zoo. Thanks for entering, and we hope to see you at the Zoo soon!
Enter to win a trip for 2 with the Houston Zoo to Churchill, Manitoba to see polar bears in the wild! A 6-day adventure awaits you as you explore the tundra in the company of expert guides and fellow travelers. You will get to see the world’s greatest concentration of polar bears and experience the frozen wilderness of Hudson Bay from the comfort of warm tundra vehicles.
Your trip will include round-trip transportation from Houston, Texas to Winnipeg, Manitoba, where your trip will begin, a round-trip flight to Churchill, and all ground transportation. All accommodations and meals starting with dinner Day 1 to breakfast on Day 6 are also included. There is even a dog sledding excursion as weather permits!
Houston weather is hot, but the Houston Zoo is cool. Even in the heat you can head to the Zoo for a relaxing day filled with fun, education, and amazing animals. And on select Fridays, we’re staying open late!
Have you ever wanted to see tortoises in the Galapagos Islands? How about observe elk, wolves, and bears in Yellowstone? Roll through the tundra looking for polar bears? You can take these amazing trips with Zoo experts and experience wildlife firsthand with the Houston Zoo travel program!
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. INTERNET ACCESS & VALID EMAIL ADDRESS REQUIRED.
OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE STATE OF TEXAS WHO ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AS OF THE DATE OF ENTRY.
BY CHECKING THE BOX ON YOUR ENTRY FORM THAT STATES “I WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE INFORMATION FROM TXU ENERGY,” YOU AGREE TO PERMIT REPRESENTATIVES OF TXU ENERGY RETAIL COMPANY, LLC TO USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO CONTACT YOU REGARDING TXU ENERGY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES. NOTE: IF YOU COMPLETE YOUR ENTRY FORM ONLINE, THE BOX THAT STATES “I WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE INFORMATION FROM TXU ENERGY” WILL BE PRE-CHECKED, AND YOU WILL NEED TO UN-CHECK THIS BOX IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO RECEIVE INFORMATION CONCERNING TXU ENERGY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES.
You have not yet won.
By entering this Promotion, entrants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Any violation of these rules may result in disqualification. All decisions of the Sponsors regarding this Promotion are final and binding in all respects.
1. SPONSORSHIP. This Promotion is sponsored by the Houston Zoo, 1513 Cambridge Street, Houston, Texas 77030 and TXU Energy Retail Company LLC, 6555 Sierra Dr., Irving, Texas 75039 (individually and collectively, the “Sponsors”).
2. PROMOTION PERIOD. The Promotion begins May 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM Central Time (“CT”) and ends August 16 at 5:00 PM CT, when all entries must be received (“Promotion Period”). No entries will be accepted after 5:00 PM CT on August 16, 2013.
3. ELIGIBILITY. This giveaway promotion (the “Promotion”) is only open to legal residents of the State of Texas who are at least 18 years old as of the date of entry, except officers, directors, members and employees of the Sponsors, the Houston Zoo and TXU Energy Retail Company LLC, any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, and the immediate family (i.e., parents, children, siblings, spouse) of, and persons residing in the same household of, such individuals. To be eligible, Promotion entrants must also have, or be able to acquire, a passport permitting international travel to Canada. Furthermore, while the Promotion is open to all entrants who meet the above qualifications, the winning prize includes travel to a destination, Churchill, Manitoba, Canada, that is not completely accessible to handicapped individuals. Part of the prize also includes a polar rover ecotour that requires engaging in some physical activity, such as climbing steps, navigating narrow aisles on the polar rovers, and walking over rough, icy terrain. To participate in the ecotour portion of the trip, the winner must be physically capable of engaging in the physical activity described above for their own safety and the safety of others included on the ecotour, and the winner must sign a waiver and release of liability acknowledging and accepting the risks inherent to adventure travel and confirming that he/she does not suffer from any disability or pre-existing medical condition which would prohibit full and safe participation.
4. HOW TO ENTER. Complete an entry form available at Guest Relations at the Houston Zoo, 1513 Cambridge Street, Houston, Texas 77030, during the Promotion Period, or visit www.houstonzoo.org during the Promotion Period and follow the instructions to complete and submit the entry form. TXU Energy’s website, www.txu.com, will also provide the option to link to the Houston Zoo’s website to fill out an entry form during the promotion. All entries become the property of the Sponsors and will not be acknowledged or returned. Limit: One entry per person during the Promotion Period.
5. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. Selection of ten (10) Promotion finalists will be conducted by random drawing from all eligible entries on August 16, 2013. From those ten (10) finalists, a winner will be randomly chosen by a second, live drawing on August 24 at the Houston Zoo. Any potential winner will be notified by email and does not need to be present for the drawing. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, does not respond within five (5) days from the date the Sponsors first try to notify him/her, and/or the prize notification is returned as undeliverable, such potential winner forfeits all rights to win the Promotion or receive the prize, and an alternate potential winner may be selected. Upon contacting a potential winner and determining that he/she has met all eligibility requirements of the Promotion, including, without limitation, the execution of the required affidavit of eligibility and waiver and release of liability, such individual will be declared the “winner” of the Promotion. The required affidavit of eligibility and waiver and release of liability must be returned within ten (10) days from the date that Sponsors first attempt to notify the potential winner.
6. PRIZE DESCRIPTION. There will be one (1) prize winner. The winner will receive a trip for two (2) to Churchill, Manitoba, Canada from November 4, 2013 to November 9, 2013. This prize will include roundtrip airfare from Houston, Texas to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, airport transfers in Winnipeg, roundtrip air transportation between Winnipeg and Churchill, all ground transportation in Churchill, accommodations in a double occupancy room for the duration of the trip, all meals from dinner on day one (1) to breakfast on day six (6), a Natural Habitat Adventures excursion to the tundra on specially designed tundra vehicles, and a dog sledding excursion as weather permits. The complete itinerary for the trip is available at www.houstonzoo.org. The approximate value, based on its estimated retail value, of the prize is $12,190. Actual value will depend on airfare fluctuations and other travel costs. In the event actual value is less than stated value, the difference will not be awarded.
7. NOT INCLUDED IN PRIZE. The following are not included in the prize: alcoholic beverages, lunch or dinner on your final day in Churchill, optional travel insurance, gratuities for the Natural Habitat Adventures Expedition Leader, any other optional activities (including, but not limited to, an Extra Day in Winnipeg Program and helicopter rides), and any other costs or items of a personal nature (including, but not limited to, telephone calls and laundry services).
8. REQUIREMENT FOR TRIP COMPANION. The Promotion winner’s companion for the trip must be 12 years of age or older. Furthermore, to be permitted to participate in the ecotour portion of the trip, he/she must be capable of engaging in the physical activity described in Paragraph 3, and have a parent or legal guardian sign the waiver and release of liability described in Paragraph 3.
9. TAXES. All federal, state and/or local income and other taxes, if any, are the winner’s sole responsibility. Sponsors will notify the Internal Revenue Service and any other applicable governmental bodies of winners’ receipt of prize (and the value of the prize), as required by law.
10. ODDS OF WINNING. The odds of winning this Promotion depend on the number of eligible entries received.
11. NO PRIZE TRANSFER OR SUBSTITUTION. No prize or any portion thereof is refundable, transferable, subject to exchange or redeemable for cash. No substitutions are permitted for the prize except by Sponsors, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be substituted.
12. IDENTITY VERIFICATION AND DISQUALIFICATION. The Promotion winner will be required to provide valid, government-issued photographic identification, complete an affidavit of eligibility, and sign a liability and publicity release in order to claim the prize. Any individual who submits false identification will be disqualified from the Promotion and will not receive the prize. In the event of an identity dispute, entries will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet Access Provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business or educational institution) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
14. LIABILITY WAIVER AND RELEASE. BY ENTERING THE PROMOTION, EACH ENTRANT RELEASES, DISCHARGES, HOLDS HARMLESS AND AGREES TO INDEMNIFY THE SPONSORS AND ANY OTHER PARTY ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OR ADMINISTRATION OF THIS PROMOTION, THEIR PARENT, SUBSIDIARY, AND AFFILIATED ENTITIES, AND EACH OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, MEMBERS, EMPLOYEES, INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS (COLLECTIVELY, “SPONSOR ENTITIES”), FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY WHATSOEVER IN CONNECTION WITH THIS PROMOTION, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY LEGAL CLAIMS INCLUDING THOSE FOR NEGLIGENCE, GROSS NEGLIGENCE, COSTS, INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES INCLUDING PUNITIVE AND/OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, DEMANDS, OR ACTIONS OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THOSE FOR PERSONAL INJURIES, DEATH, DAMAGE TO, LOSS OR DESTRUCTION OR PROPERTY, LOSS RESULTING FROM DELIVERY, MISDELIVERY, ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRIZE, RIGHTS OF PUBLICITY OR PRIVACY, DEFAMATION, OR PORTRAYAL IN A FALSE LIGHT, WHETHER INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL), AND WHETHER UNDER A THEORY OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), WARRANTY OR ANY OTHER THEORY (COLLECTIVELY, “CLAIMS”). ACCEPTANCE OF THE PRIZE CONSTITUTES A RELEASE BY THE PROMOTION WINNER OF THE SPONSOR ENTITIES OF ANY AND ALL CLAIMS IN CONNECTION WITH THE ADMINISTRATION OF THIS PROMOTION AND THE PRIZE.
15. DISCLAIMERS. The Sponsors make the following disclaimers: (i) entries that are lost, late, misdirected, incorrect, illegible, garbled, undelivered, delayed or incompletely received, for any reason, including by reason of hardware, software, browser, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility at Sponsors’ servers or elsewhere, will not be eligible; (ii) Sponsors, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or the operation of the website. Use of macros, scripts, bots or other automated process to enter is prohibited and may result in disqualification at the sole discretion of Sponsors; (iii) Sponsors further reserve the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Promotion due to any of the following: problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line-systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, or programming; infection by computer virus, worms, or bugs; tampering, hacking or unauthorized intervention; force majeure; failure of email on account of technical problems; traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof or for injury or damage to entrant’s or to any person’s computer (or any information/materials stored therein) related to or resulting from downloading materials from any website or participating in the Promotion; any act, occurrence or reason the Sponsors believe would corrupt the integrity, administration or fairness of the Promotion; (iv) Sponsors are not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of this Promotion, including without limitation mechanical, human, printing, distribution or production errors, and may modify or cancel this Promotion based upon such error at its sole discretion without liability; (v) SPONSORS MAKE NO WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, AS REGARDS THIS PROMOTION OR THE QUALITY OF THE PRIZE; (vi) CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
16. APPLICABLE LAWS, JURISDICTION, WAIVER OF AND WAIVER OF JURY TRIAL. This Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of the State of Texas. All disputes arising out of or connected with this Promotion will be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by a state or federal court located in Houston, Texas. Should there be a conflict between the laws of the State of Texas and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of the State of Texas. All judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages associated with participation in this Promotion, but in no event shall attorney’s fees be included. Under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, exemplary, special, incidental, indirect and consequential damages and any other damages (whether due to negligence or otherwise), other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses. PARTICIPATION IN THIS PROMOTION CONSTITUTES A WAIVER OF THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY.
17. WINNER NOTIFICATION. The name of the winner of the Promotion will be posted on the Houston Zoo website, www.houstonzoo.org and TXU Energy website, www.txu.com, within one (1) week of the drawing. Separately, to receive a printed notification of the winner, a request in writing, along with a stamped, self-addressed, business-size envelope may be sent to the Houston Zoo, 1513 Cambridge Street, Houston, Texas 77030.