These canids are also referred to as African wild dogs or African hunting dogs. They are among the most endangered species in Africa, with less than 5,000 left in the wild. They hunt together in packs and live on a diet of mammals and small animals.
- Scientific Name: Lycaon pictus
- Range: Sub-Saharan Africa
- Status in the Wild: Endangered
- Location in the Zoo: Carnivores
- Cool Animal Fact: No two African painted dogs share the same pattern of red, yellow, white, brown, and black-colored patches of fur on their coats.